The Stillwater Farmers Market Customer Appreciation Day is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. Vendors are providing samples of the many delicious items you can find each week at the market. The winter Farmers Market is indoors at Northern Oklahoma College at the corner of Hall of Fame and Monroe. This is the last Saturday the Farmers Market will be at this location.
On April 5, the market moves to Strickland Park. The market hours will change to 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. for the spring and summer.
BEEF AND BEAN TACO BUNDLES
If your kids are on the young side, we suggest a portion of two bundles for dinner with a fruit and vegetable on the side. For older kids, three bundles is more appropriate. Gauge the exact serving size on your family’s appetite.
1 pound lean ground beef (90 percent lean or higher)
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded on the large holes of a box grater (about 1 cup)
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 cup salsa
1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
16 egg roll wraps (not the smaller wonton wrappers)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and carrot and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink for about five minutes. Drain excess fat.
3. When the meat is done, add the beans, corn, cilantro, salsa, and taco seasoning mix and stir to combine. Cook until heated through, about one minute. Stir in the cheese until well combined but not totally melted.
4. To prepare the bundles, use a muffin pan with 12 medium-size cups (do not coat with nonstick cooking spray). Gently place one egg roll wrap into each cup, letting it extend over the sides.
5. Place 1/4 cup of the meat mixture into each wrap, and fold the corners up and over the top of the filling. Press to seal the edges (it doesn’t have to be perfect!). Spray the tops lightly with nonstick cooking spray or brush lightly with expeller pressed canola oil (you’ll need less than a teaspoon total).
6. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 to 18 minutes. Repeat with the remaining four bundles. Cool slightly before eating.
Carla Maness is serving as the public relations officer for the Stillwater Farmers Market which has local vendors from Payne County and the surrounding areas. Visit stillwaterfarmersmarket.com for more recipes and to register for free e-newsletters.