Stillwater News Press

November 9, 2012

Coyle clipped by Keota in first round of playoffs

P-T blown out by Jones; Perry rally falls short

By Merrick Eagleton
Stillwater NewsPress

LANGSTON, Okla. — A long and tough game played by the Coyle Bluejackets wasn’t enough to keep them alive in the post-season. The Bluejackets fell to Keota 52-42.

Coyle head coach Shane Weathers said his team played well against a top 10 team.    

“All of my seniors played with a lot of heart,” Weathers said. “We all scored.”

Coyle stood a chance halfway through the fourth quarter, but couldn’t get its hands on the ball. Keota maintained possession and ran the last seven minutes off the clock, ending the Bluejackets’ season.

“We just couldn’t get the ball back,” Weathers said.

Millwood 34, Perry 28

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Perry Maroons lost their playoff game by 10 points to Millwood, a team that was favored by 20 points.

After being down 28-14 late in the third quarter, Perry came back to challenge Millwood.

“We nearly pulled off the upset tonight,” Brock Campbell said.

The Maroons got the ball back with five minutes left in the fourth quarter after an onside kick was recovered by senior Austin Allen at the 37-yard line. Perry got inside the 20-yard line and went for it on fourth-and-4 but was unsuccessful. Millwood ran the clock out to secure the win.

Darreal Williams had a 70-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter that was crucial keeping Perry in the game. Both Williams and Allen were named co-players of the game.

Campbell said Millwood self-destructed with a fumble at the Maroons’ 5-yard line which was picked up by Williams. Millwood also had several personal fouls, assisting in Perry’s comeback.

“It all led to us getting back in the game,” Campbell said.

Allen is now a two-time 1,000-yard rusher and quarterback Kale Hixon fell short of 1,000 yards passing by 13 yards.

Craig Hixon, head coach of the Maroons, said he was proud of the team and what they had to accomplish to get to the playoffs.

Warner 40, Yale 6

WARNER — The Yale Bulldogs were unable to stop the Warner Eagles’ season-long winning streak in the first round of playoffs.

Yale got on the board in the first quarter with six points after driving the ball 65 yards, but remained scoreless the remainder of the game.

The Bulldogs made it into the red zone late in the third quarter but were forced to punt the ball away after the Warner defense stopped them on third-and-1 at the 20-yard line. This led to an 80-yard touchdown run by Warner’s Jake Leybas.

“They just dominated the line of scrimmage and executed really well,” Yale head coach Craig Ellis said. “We got to move the ball a little bit but they were just a real good team.”

Jones 48, Perkins-Tryon 12

JONES —The Perkins-Tryon Demons had a slow start in the first round of playoffs and couldn’t catch up to Jones.

After falling behind by 28 points in the first quarter, the 12 points the Demons scored the rest of the game weren’t comparable to the Jones’ offense. Demons head coach Lloyd Wertman said they knew what to expect going into the game.

“Jones is very good,” Wertman said. “They were quick and we knew that.”