GLENCOE, Okla. —
To the editor:
I would like to give a thumbs-up to the Stillwater News Press for their coverage of activities of the small schools surrounding the Stillwater area. I have written letters the past couple of years to the Oklahoman editor and sports editor for some coverage of the class A and B school activities only to feel like we didn’t have enough fan base or people were not interested in small schools.
I feel it’s important for teams and individuals to get recognition for their accomplishments. It may help that young person to get exposure to move up or further their goal for a position not achieved any other way. It’s no surprise that stories are cut out and put in a scrapbook. I am a 1956 graduate of Glencoe and although we didn’t have a lot of coverage of games and individuals we had enough for me to cut them out and preserve them (even over 55 years later) for when our alumni class gets together to reminisce and enjoy remembering those times.
I also stress that I do not believe sports is more important than getting an education, but I remembered I had to make passing grades to be eligible which is still required today.
I might also comment that it is good you spread your coverage to different schools and individuals so there isn’t a feeling of being less important compared to others.
God bless our young people.
GLENCOE, Okla. —
- Letters to the Editor
- Submit letters to the editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Burning weed to generate power
- LETTER: How about those changes?
- LETTER: Watch your retirement
- LETTER: Surviving the trip
- LETTERS: Legislators leave teachers pensions alone
- LETTER: Writer supports Scott in Council 4 primary
- LETTER: Sportsmanship alive in Stillwater
- LETTER: Agreeing with McCracken’s letter
- LETTER: Maintain integrity of Electoral College
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines