Stillwater News Press

Local News

November 14, 2012

7:41 P.M. UPDATE: One apartment destroyed, two damaged in Stillwater fire

STILLWATER, Okla. — Stillwater firefighters battled a blaze at an apartment building near Town and Gown Theatre on Perkins Road Wednesday afternoon.

Battalion Chief Terry Essary said there were no injuries.

Building manager Steve Long said the fire apparently started in an apartment at 505 E. 36th St. underneath a set of stairs where there was a water heater, washer, dryer and central air unit. The fire department was called in when a tenant noticed smoke.

Of 10 apartments, two will likely be total losses and another will need renovation due to smoke damage, Long said.

Essary said the Fire Department has not determined the cause of the fire. Fire Marshal Trent Hawkins was investigating.

The unit where the fire appeared to have started had severe damage, Essary said. The two nearby units have smoke damage.

Essary and Long said Wednesday afternoon that attempts to contact the tenant of the unit had been unsuccessful

Crews responded at approximately 2:30 p.m. Wednesday with three engines and a truck and had the fire under control in less than 20 minutes.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News