Stillwater News Press

January 10, 2013

Medical examiner: April fire death determined accidental

By Russell Hixson
Stillwater NewsPress

STILLWATER, Okla. — A house fire death from April has been determined an accident by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

According to the medical examiner’s report released Thursday, victim Jeffrey Myers, 56, of Stillwater died from smoke inhalation and thermal burns. The death was ruled an accident.

Myers died in a blaze at his home at 1423 S. Fern St. April 19. The fire started in a bedroom in the southeast corner of the house and “was determined to be electrical in nature,” Stillwater Fire Marshal Trent Hawkins said.

Firefighters saw flames rising from the house when they arrived. Myers was found lying prone in a hallway.

According to the report, Myers sustained extensive thermal burns and charring over 90 percent of his body.

According to a neighbor, Myers was holding the family dog in his arms and covering it with his body when he was found deceased.