By Russell Hixson
STILLWATER, Okla. — Police are waiting for autopsy results of a 37-year-old man who was found dead in his apartment after a stovetop fire.
Stillwater Fire Marshal Trent Hawkins said the man appeared to have died from smoke inhalation but police and fire officials are waiting for the state medical examiner’s report.
The man’s name will not be released until family members are notified, Stillwater Police Capt. Randy Dickerson said.
Hawkins said he, officers and paramedics responded shortly after 12:30 p.m. Saturday and found an unburned body in the bedroom adjacent to the kitchen.
Hawkins determined there had been an accidental fire in the apartment on a stovetop that involved cabinets above the stove. Hawkins said it appeared there had been something cooking on the stovetop.
“Due to the small size of the apartment the fire burned itself out for lack of oxygen,” Hawkins said. The apartment was approximately 390 square feet.
Based on smoke and heat damage, the entire apartment would have been filled with smoke, Hawkins said.
The fire department was never notified about the fire. Hawkins said statements by neighbors show they noticed a small amount of smoke at the apartment Saturday but emergency responders were not contacted.