By Chase Rheam
STILLWATER, Okla. —
The Payne County Commissioners approved a resolution for a project agreement for grade, draining, bridge and surface work to be completed in Yale.
Commissioner Zach Cavett said the agreement between the Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation and Payne County would allow for improvements to a bridge on McElroy Road east of Sea Street in Yale. The bridge will be completely reconstructed.
Cavett said the entire project costs approximately $450,000. The work is part of ODOT’s County Improvements for Roads & Bridges Program which would pay 20 percent of the total cost of the project with the remaining 80 percent being funded by the federal Bridge Replacement Fund. He said the ODOT will oversee the project and hire a private contractor at a later time.
After the Payne County Commissioners approved the resolution Thursday, it will go to the Civil Engineering District next to insure that the funds are available from the fedeal Bridge Replacement Fund to pay the 80 percent.
The commissioners also discussed possible action on telephone and utility permits.
“I believe between the two districts, we have close to 100 of them,” Cavett said.
However, the commission voted to wait until Monday to approve all the permits.
Cavett suggested an amendment for permanent road crossing permits, asking that all plastic lines be encased in steel throughout the right of way or maintained at a depth no less than 12 feet below the ditch line.
“There’s been some concern from citizens,” he said. “They’re installing a 12-inch poly line. That would be a whole lot easier to cut if we were doing some ditch work in the future. And if it was encased in steel, it would be a lot less likely to puncture.”
Cavett said the changes have already been approved by the district attorney.
The commission also discussed and approved their investment resolution and bank designations.
Payne County Treasurer Bonita Stadler spoke to the commissioners on two resolutions - one on bank designations and the other on investment.
“The main purpose of this designation of banks is to make sure that none of the board members have interest in the banks that we might be using and I’ve listed all the banks that are available to us within the county,” she said.
The investment resolution states that the Payne County Treasurer is authorized to invest county money in an approved manner according to state statute that would give the best return for Payne County.
Both resolutions were approved.
(An earlier version of this story was corrected to include proper project information.)