By Russell Hixson
STILLWATER, Okla. — A Stillwater firefighter rescued three people from the second story window of an apartment building on fire, Thursday morning.
Stillwater Assistant Fire Chief Rick Hauf said station two and three responded to 111 North Duck St. shortly before 8 a.m. and found heavy smoke.
"There was an immediate need to evacuate the whole complex," Hauf said. Using an extension ladder, Capt. Scott Anderson helped evacuate three residents from a second story window.
Three residents were transported to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Fire officials said they are expected to be released.
Hauf said after an aggressive interior attack the fire was quickly under control.
According to Red Cross Regional Director of Communications Ken Garcia there were six students who were displaced by the fire. They are now being aided by the Red Cross.
According to Fire Marshal Trent Hawkins the fire started when a resident fell asleep with a candle still burning. He woke up Thursday morning to the curtains and blinds on fire in his room. He and the three others inside attempted to put it out on their own but were overwhelmed with smoke and heat, Hawkins said, and they called 911.
Three dogs died in the fire, Hawkins said.