Stillwater News Press

Breaking News

Local News

February 22, 2013

UPDATE: Fire inside Stillwater home started by clothes dryer

STILLWATER, Okla. — No one was injured in a house fire at 600 E. 14th Ave. shortly before noon Friday..

Stillwater Fire Marshal Trent Hawkins relayed information from Deputy Fire Marshal Neal Moore who responded to the incident.

"The fire actually started in a clothes dryer in the house," Hawkins said.

The cause is still unknown, however, Hawkins said the breaker to the dryer was off when firefighters reached it.

"The house was unoccupied at the time of the fire," Hawkins said. "I believe it was an OSU student who lives there, who rents the property, and she was in class at the time of the fire."

Three stations responded to the fire. An estimate of damage is unavailable at this time.

Moore later contacted the NewsPress to give additional details. He said the fire damaged approximately 45 to 50 thousand dollars structurally to the home and in content. The fire did not spread beyond the utility room, he said.

"The rest of the house sustained a lot of heavy heat and smoke damage," Moore said.

 

 

 

 

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News