Stillwater News Press

Local News

September 3, 2013

No injuries after car fire in northern Stillwater Tuesday

STILLWATER, Okla. — No one was injured when firefighters and LifeNet responded to a car engulfed in flames at approximately 3:15 on Tuesday.

Firefighters extinguished the fire inside the 1991 Ford Tempo parked outside of Kiko's Hookah Lounge at 1917 N. Boomer.

The vehicle's owner, 57-year-old Steve Sparkman, was not injured or inside when it caught fire.

"I was lucky I wasn't inside of it because the fire started just behind the wheel," he said.

Sparkman said the four-door vehicle had been unreliable in the past month until it finally broke down and he left it in the parking lot for about an hour. 

Sparkman was home nearby at Stonegate when a neighbor called to tell him that his car was on fire.

"We're close friends," said James Lambert. "I was worried about him."

The vehicle had approximately $800 worth of repairs, including a new fuel pump and ignition switch, Sparkman said. The $1500 worth of college textbooks Sparkman uses were inside the car but were salvaged.

Sparkman told firefighters that it was likely caused by an electrical short.

"The fire started and stayed in the cab," said Lt. Dusty Stokes. "It didn't start in the engine. We suspect it was an electrical failure."

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News