Dr. Andrew W. Monlux, retired Regents Professor of Veterinary Pathology at Oklahoma State University, passed away on July 4, 2013. Funeral services will be held at Salem Lutheran Church at 10:30 a.m. Thursday. He will be interred in the Salem Cemetery, west of Stillwater. Strode Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
He was born in Algona, Iowa, in 1920, the third son of Delos and Elivra (nee Seastream) Monlux. He was graduated from Algona High School in 1937 and received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Iowa State University in 1942. In September 1942, he left his veterinary practice in Woden, Iowa, to accept a commission in the U.S. Army as a 1st lieutenant in the Veterinary Corps. He served until November 1946 in assignments that included running a remount station for horses and mules in Vera Cruz, Mexico, as well as serving in equine evacuation hospitals in Italy. At Christmas one year, he was at the front lines in the Italian Alps and negotiated a deal where the German officers, anxious to feed their troops meat on Christmas Day, exchanged several grateful American prisoners of war in return for American mules. After the war, he received an M.S. in veterinary hygiene from Iowa State University and a doctorate in comparative pathology from George Washington University.
He married Jean Hauser on Aug. 19, 1950. Together they had two children. The marriage lasted 55 years until Mrs. Monlux’s passing in 2006.
From 1951 to 1956, Dr. Monlux conducted research for the U.S. Department of Agriculture on bovine, porcine and ovine cancers. This research led to his writing The Atlas of Meat Inspection.
In 1956, he accepted an appointment as Professor and Head of Veterinary Pathology at Oklahoma State University. In 1958, a graduate program in Veterinary Pathology was approved that allowed the college to be fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. He and his brother William revised Runnells’ Principles of Veterinary Pathology in 1965. In 1972, he became a Regents Professor of Pathology and was awarded a cooperative grant from the National Institute of Health in which he classified and published research on dog and cat tumors collected in the Greater Tulsa area. This project, which lasted until 1982, was a part of the national effort to learn more about the nature and origins of cancer by understanding the occurrence of cancer in domesticated animals.
Dr. Monlux retired in 1985 as Emeritus Regents Professor. In his retirement, he wrote an extensive family genealogy, traveled throughout the United States and Europe (including many trips to see family in Sweden), and enjoyed his grandchildren. He was a member of Salem Lutheran Church for 57 years.
He is preceded in death by his two brothers, William and Robert; his adored wife, Jean; and his grandson, Paul.
He is survived by his son, Roy Monlux, and wife, Angela, of Oklahoma City; daughter, Laura Monlux Wilson, and husband, Bob, of Dallas, Texas; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Memorials may be sent to Salem Lutheran Church at 101 S. Duck St., Stillwater, OK 74074.
Condolences may be emailed to the family and an online obituary may be viewed by visiting www.strodefh.com.