Stillwater News Press

January 26, 2014

Furious rally falls short in overtime for Cowgirls

By Jason Elmquist
Stillwater NewsPress


Oklahoma State had perennial Big 12 Conference power Baylor on the ropes after rallying from 16 points down in the second half. But the Lady Bears did as they've done for the past three years — they won.

The furious rally by the Cowgirls was all for not as Baylor hit a 3-pointer to send the game in Gallagher-Iba Arena to overtime, and got the game's biggest play from senior point guard Odyssey Sims in the final seconds to knock off OSU 69-66.

"It was a really tough loss, especially since we had great opportunities to win the game," Cowgirl senior point guard Tiffany Bias said. "We had a chance in regulation, but we got hurt by the little things, just not making free throws and turning the ball over. It's a tough loss for us."

After going on a 25-6 run over a seven-minute span to take a three-point lead with 4:28 remaining in regulation, the Cowgirls went blow for blow with the Bears to close out the final 20 minutes of regulation.

Oklahoma State had the upper-hand in the final minute when Kendra Suttles, who scored 12 points in 22 minutes off the bench for OSU, made a layup to give the Cowgirls a three-point advantage.

But that evaporated when Baylor's Makenzie Robertson tied the game with a 3-pointer with five seconds remaining in regulation.

"Hindsight is 20/20. If I had to do it over again, I'd foul at the end of regulation," Littell said. "Robertson hit a great shot. ... All sorts of things go through your mind on that, but if we had to do it over again, we should have fouled on that play at the end of regulation and made that scenario happen."

OSU got one last opportunity with Bias leaking out on the inbounds play, but her layup rolled out to send it to overtime.

"I had made eye contact with Kendra to try to get a quick out ... I had it and shoulders were behind me, it was just one of those things where it was just in and out," said the senior point guard, who finished with a team-high 17 points with 14 coming after halftime. "It was kind of a tough night for me the whole night. I wish I would have made it, but it was just one of those things and you've got to move on."

Robertson, who went 6 for 10 from beyond the arc, hit another big 3-pointer in the extra period to give Baylor a five-point lead with three minutes remaining.

With the game tied and OSU in possession of the ball in the final 30 seconds of overtime, the Cowgirls had to settle for a 3-point attempt by Suttles — that was an air ball — before the shot clock expired.

"We were trying to post Brittney Martin on Makenzie Robertson where we had a distinct size advantage and we had gone to it earlier and tried to go back to it, but we got a pass deflected and Odyssey got the layup," Littell said. "But the plan was to try to isolate Brittney on the box on a smaller guard."

Sims, the conference's leading scorer with 30 points per game, claimed the loose ball and went the length of the court to get a bucket and foul with 3.8 seconds remaining. The Baylor point guard — who finished with 17 points, eight assists and eight turnovers — then picked the ball from Bias at midcourt to prevent OSU from even getting a shot at sending it to a second overtime.

With the loss, Oklahoma State drops to a tie for second with West Virginia in the conference standings, one game behind Baylor. The Cowgirls now face a two-game road trip starting with TCU, which is 11-1 on its home court, at 7 p.m. Wednesday, then travel to Norman for a Bedlam battle Saturday.