There is "very little doubt" that a chemical weapon was used by Syria against civilians in an incident that killed at least 100 people last week, but the president has not yet decided how to respond, a senior administration official said Sunday.
The official said the U.S. intelligence community based its assessment, which was given to the White House, on "the reported number of victims, reported symptoms of those who were killed or injured" and witness accounts.
The official said the White House believes the Syrian government had denied a U.N. investigative team immediate access to the site of a reported Aug. 21 chemical weapons attack in the Damascus suburbs, in order to give the evidence of the attack time tod degrade.
The official said the regime's continuing shelling of the site also further corrupts any available evidence of the attack.
On Sunday morning, Syrian State TV announced Bashar Assad's government would allow U.N. inspectors to visit the site - a statement later confirmed by the U.N. The mission "is preparing to conduct on-site fact-finding activities'" on Monday, U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said Sunday in a statement.