Stillwater News Press


November 3, 2012

Langston thumps Southern Assemblies of God in home finale

LANGSTON, Okla. — With no shot at the postseason the Langston Lions were hoping to give their fans one more win to cheer about. Saturday at W.E. Anderson Stadium, the Lions delivered with three first quarter touchdowns in a 21-7 victory over the Southwestern Assemblies of God Lions.

“We’ve been playing lights out on defense the entire year,” coach Mickey Joseph said. “We’ve been hit and miss on offense but today we got enough points to win the game.”

Langston’s defense shut down SAGU’s offense as it forced five punts and picked off a pass in the end zone. SAGU had it’s chances to score, starting in the first quarter when Langston’s Ivory Cook fumbled and the Lions received the ball at Langston’s 25 yard line. After gaining a first down, Southwestern Assemblies only gained two yards on a run and Reid Golson threw two incompletions. James Gish’s kick went wide right, giving Langston the ball at its own 20.

Toward the end of the first half, SAGU drove inside the Lions’ 30 but Golson threw an interception in the end zone. In the second half, SAGU received the ball at Langston’s 44 but only gained nine yards and turned it over on downs. Later in the half the Lions drove to the Langston 35 and Golson again was intercepted in the end zone by Dominique Barnes-Carn.

“Our motto is bend but don’t break,” Barnes-Carn said. “They will make it close but they won’t get in.”

Langston’s offense was carried by running back Kendrick Roberson. After Southwest Assemblies’ missed field goal, Roberson ran to the outside then cut to the middle of the field to take it all the way for an 80-yard touchdown. Later in the quarter, William Taylor fumbled a handoff and lost 10 yards. On the very next play, Roberson ran down the sideline for a 40-yard touchdown. The running back finished with 187 yards.

“I got the ball and the (offensive line) got everything blocked up and I made one guy miss,” Roberson said.

The special teams set Langston’s offense up as Jacquinten Young blocked a Stephen Stewart punt and the Lions recovered at the SAGU 15. Quarterback Brendan Crawford capped off the drive with a one-yard sneak and Langston led 21-0 after the first quarter.

After that drive, the defenses dominated the next two quarters. Langston had to punt seven times, lost a fumble, an interception and turned the ball over on downs. After their last touchdown the Lions only had three possessions that went to midfield or further. One of those drives ended with a fumble on the goalline.

“You got to start fast and finish strong,” Joseph said. “We started fast but didn’t finish strong. ... We should of finished with two or three touchdowns that we left on the field. We have to execute better.”

Langston (5-4) finishes their season at Oklahoma Panhandle University.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
OSU Sports
High School Sports
Sports Columns