Stillwater News Press

February 1, 2013

Pioneers upset No. 1 Bishop McGuinness on homecoming night

Carson Teel hits game-winning 3-pointer with 7 seconds remaining.

By Nick Snow

STILLWATER, Okla. — For 31 minutes, Bishop McGuinness held Stillwater High School’s Carson Teel scoreless. It’s the other 60 seconds the Irish would like to have back.

Teel scored five points in the final minute — including a clutch 28-foot 3-pointer with 7 seconds left — as Stillwater avenged an earlier season loss to Class 5A No. 1 Bishop McGuinness with a 48-47 win over the Irish Friday at the Pioneer Fieldhouse.

“When I put it up I had a good feeling it was going in,” Teel said. “It was frustrating at first because when you’re not scoring you feel like you can’t do anything. But I was able to knock it down and we got the W.”

“You can’t say enough about Carson Teel,” Stillwater coach Michael Davis said. “The kid worked for it. He was having an off night. He made a bad pass to Jordan (Brown) earlier in the game, but the kid made plays.”

Twice in the second half it looked like the win was going to slip away — including once in the fourth quarter as the Irish opened the quarter with a 10-2 run, forcing Davis to call a timeout.

“I told them that they deserved to win this game,” Davis said. “They just kept doing what they’ve been doing all year. They never gave up. That’s the Pioneer pride and they showed it.”

The Pioneers (15-4) got off to a slow start as Bishop McGuinness (17-4) controlled the pace of the game early as the Irish jumped out to a 13-8 lead after the first quarter.

The Pioneers continued to claw back, pulling within one, 19-18, at halftime before Stillwater finally took a 33-31 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

Trailing by two in the last 45 seconds, Rico Thompson stole the ball and fed Teel for an easy layup, tying the game at 45. Thompson finished with 21 points to lead Stillwater.

“Coach (Derrick) Verner asked us to step up and make a play,”  Thompson said. “I just saw an opportunity and took it. We’ve been through things like this before, so it wasn’t really that big of a deal.”

With the win, Stillwater may have clinched its spot as a regional host.

“We wanted this bad,” Teel said. “We knew we had a chance to host a regional and we wanted to win this one for coach (Davis) and his family. It definitely feels good since we lost to them twice last year and once this year.”

Bishop McGuinness 33, Stillwater girls 29

As Stillwater coach Carl Treat sat in his office after the game against Bishop McGuinness, his look said it all. Treat, slouched slightly in his chair with eyes almost glazed over, still seemed frustrated by his team’s lack of execution in the 33-29 loss to the Lady Irish Friday at the Pioneer Fieldhouse.

“We were up 11-3 in the first quarter and averaged six points per quarter after that,” Treat said. “We had too many turnovers, too many missed rebounds, too many missed opportunities.”

The Lady Pioneers (11-8) had their fair share of opportunities to get the win — or at the very least force a second overtime game against the Lady Irish (7-13) — but with time winding down and Stillwater trailing by two, Kayla Klaus’ pass sailed just out of an open Callie Atkins’ fingertips.

“That was just a very good symbol of how things went for us tonight,” Treat said. “Again, that’s a missed opportunity. You’ve got to play harder than we did, you’ve got to work harder than we, you have to guard better than we did and McGuinness outplayed us tonight.”

It wasn’t all bad for Stillwater, however. The Lady Pioneers opened the game with an 9-2 run, aided by Austyn Iven’s 3-pointer and a technical foul on McGuinness’ Maddie Andrews as Stillwater led 11-7 after one quarter.

But all that seemed to vanish in an instant as Stillwater’s post players found themselves in foul trouble, and the offense struggled to be patient and wait for an open look without them.

“It was difficult to get into a groove with a different rotation than we’re used to,” Iven said. “We should still be OK no matter who is in the game if we play hard. … We just weren’t being patient. We were rushed and we weren’t playing solid defense.”

Clinging to a 18-15 halftime lead, Bishop McGuinness tied the game at 22 on Gabby Grubb’s 3-pointer with 2:35 left in the third, giving the Lady Irish plenty of momentum despite being down 24-22 after three quarters.

The Lady Irish took their first lead of the game on a pair of free throws from Andrews at the 4:08 mark. The teams traded the lead late, but eventually the turnovers caught up to the Lady Pioneers as Stillwater missed a couple of open looks at the basket and was forced to foul. From there, Torie Shanbour made 3 of 4 to seal it for the Lady Irish in the final 10 seconds

“It’s really frustrating,” Iven said. “We played hard. We just came up a little too short.”

Iven led the Lady Pioneers with 12 points while Lauren Stettnisch chipped in 8 points. Halley Randolph also had 8 rebounds — several in the final minute to keep Stillwater in the game — but it wasn’t enough as Stillwater’s regional hopes likely took a big hit with the loss.

“It’s disappointing to have a big crowd here and play like we did,” Treat said. “We have to go back and look at our preparation and look at our execution. They just outplayed us tonight. We’ve got to do a better job executing and taking care of the ball.”