Stillwater News Press


November 29, 2013

Morrison's season ends with big loss to top-ranked Ringling

RINGLING, Okla. — Murphy’s Law states “What can go wrong, will go wrong.” Friday at Rick Gandy Field, just about everything went wrong for the Morrison Wildcats as they gave up 20 points in the first quarter in a 48-8 defeat to the No. 1 Ringling Blue Devils.

“They out-physicaled us,” coach Cory Bales said. “It was a really bad matchup for us. They played well. We fought hard and didn’t quit.”

The Blue Devils (11-1) took control from the get-go. In the first quarter, Ringling had two scoring plays of 80 or more yards. On their first possession, the Blue Devils were facing a third-and-11 at their own 19 when Ryan Lester beat Morrison’s secondary for an 81-yard touchdown from quarterback Taner Richardson.

Later in the quarter, Morrison’s drive stalled at the Ringling 41 but was able to down the punt at the Blue Devils 1. Richardson and Lester connected again for a 99-yard touchdown, Ringling led 20-0 at the end of the first.

“The big plays in the passing game hurt us early,” Bales said. “We were just never able to get anything going offensively.”

Lester finished the game with four receptions for 230 yards and three touchdowns. Richardson completed five of 10 passes for 264 yards and four touchdowns. The Blue Devils also ran the ball well too, gaining 178 yards on 35 carries.

The Wildcats’ offense couldn’t get in a rhythm except for their first drive which ended at the Ringling 9 on downs. Morrison turned the ball over four times. Sophomore quarterback Jordan Quinata fumbled in the first quarter and injured his hand on the play. Ringling immediately took advantage as Lester scored the second of his three touchdown receptions. Quinata also threw two interceptions. The Wildcats had a second fumble in the first half.

“When Jordan got hurt in the middle of the first half, we weren’t able to throw it anymore,” Bales said. “It’s just the way it goes.”

The Blue Devils led 34-0 at halftime and didn’t quickly grabbed the momentum in the second half. Lester ran down the sidelines to return the second half kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown.

Morrison (11-2) got on the board late in the second half as Quinata ran for a 4-yard touchdown. Senior Scotty Van Dorn led the team in rushing with 78 yards on 18 carries. Quinata rushed for 49 yards on 14 carries and threw four 48 yards on five completions. Though Friday’s game wasn’t the result Bales was looking for he was pleased with his players.

“I’m very proud of them and what they accomplished,” Bales said. “You hate to finish your season on a lopsided game like this but we will wake up tomorrow and realize what we accomplished.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
OSU Sports
High School Sports
Sports Columns