A mobile home fire claimed the life of an 18-year-old Stillwater High School student Sunday morning.

Matthew Scott Wilkerson died early Sunday after the blaze broke out at the mobile home where the teen was staying, according to Stillwater Police Lt. Michael Metcalf.

Firefighters were dispatched to 222 S. Drury at 7:14 a.m. Upon arrival, they found the mobile home fully engulfed and received reports there were two males in the mobile home at the time of the fire, but both were accounted for.

Metcalf said it appears the fire started in a room where Wilkerson was sleeping. Another man staying at the mobile home managed to escape and told authorities he saw a badly burned Wilkerson climbing out of a bedroom window. Wilkerson was then transported to Stillwater Medical Center, where he died of his injuries.

According to the fire report, there were also two vehicles destroyed by the heat of the blaze. An extended cab pickup was just starting to burn when the fire department arrived and the firefighters heard what sounded like ammunition going off inside the cab. A Blazer subsequently caught on fire later in the morning.

The fire remains under investigation but Metcalf says the blaze likely started from one of several space heaters being used inside the home.

Recommended for you