Stillwater man accused of domestic abuse by strangulation

A 22-year-old Stillwater man, Ian Black Fulton was charged Wednesday with domestic abuse by strangulation.

According to the probable cause affidavit, a Stillwater Police Department officer was dispatched to The Reserve Apartments around 2 p.m. June 3 in reference to a physical domestic dispute that had just occurred.

Upon arrival at the apartments, the officer met a witness outside one of the apartment buildings. A woman told the officer that her boyfriend, Fulton, had been drinking and they were fighting. The woman said she wasn’t going to deal with it today and Fulton began to yell at her and call her names. She then told the officer she took Fulton’s shirt and shorts and struck him with them, saying he wasn’t going to disrespect her today.

The woman said Fulton left the bathroom and came toward her, getting behind her and putting her in a choke hold. Fulton placed his arm around her neck with her back pressed against him, causing her to lose her vision and ability to breathe. 

The woman said she doesn’t remember if she passed out, but remembers after Fulton choked her she fell and busted her mouth on the coffee table. She then ran into the bathroom to get away from him.

Fulton went to his truck and later returned. The woman asked Fulton where her keys were, but he would not allow her to leave. Fulton continued to yell at her.

The woman then used her phone to contact Fulton’s mother, who didn’t answer immediately but later called back saying she might have had a stroke. She told Fulton about his mother and he got angry with her, saying it was the woman’s fault his mother was sick. 

She said Fulton punched a hole in her laundry door and was throwing things. The woman said as soon as Fulton went from the living room to the kitchen she ran out of the residence and called the police.

The officer writes he observed the woman had a red scratch on the left side of her neck and her lip was busted.

The officer then approached the residence to speak with Fulton, but was observed leaving the apartment. 

The woman confirmed it was him and the officer placed him under arrest around 2:11 p.m. June 3. The officer detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath and person, and his right knuckle was bloody.

Fulton appeared in court June 3 without council. Bond was set at $10,000 as long as Fulton has no contact with the alleged victim. His last court appearance was July 3.

Recommended for you